They’re basically gas lighting themselves…
● ignorance - they think it is pretty much a past tense.
● denial - they knew that western countries set up sweat factories to pollute China and exploited cheap Chinese labors, but they would ascribe it as “destiny of poor country” instead of “economic colonization”.
● lesser evil - Chinese leaders make announcement to fight Western imperialism, from time to time. It is simply a lip service. / They think cooperation with the West is generally more beneficial than harmful: investment of Western capital helped boost Chinese economy anyway. They feel themselves in a win-win situation.
● inferiority complex - You know there is a “face culture” in China. Chinese people can be exploited/enslaved by the West as long as the West maintains its “face” and recognizes it is currently a rich and strong country.
● victim blaming - many progressive anti-Asians in the East who think Chinese culture is backward and deemed it as a major reason that the East falls behind the West (we know the real reason is colonial oppression). Intellectuals, as especially ones of younger generations, regard abandoning backward tradition of the East as progressive and liberal.
I find the last two particularly appalling.
There is opposition to these views, I hope? eg awareness of Western soft power/propaganda