New Comics Anthology ‘Permanent Alien’ Highlights the Asian-American Experience

• Level 3 - Captain

New Comics Anthology ‘Permanent Alien’ Highlights the Asian-American Experience

Michelle Zhuang says the idea for a new zine highlighting the young Asian-American experience came to them in a flash.

“I was waiting for Mariel [Rodriguez, a fellow artist], and I thought, 'What if we made comics featuring people who looked like us for people who looked like us?” Zhuang, a student at the Rhode Island School of Design, told NBC News. They immediately told Rodriguez about the idea as the pair walked the campus. Rodriguez was equally enthusiastic.

“It’s something I wanted to do for a long time, but I just hadn’t had the chance,” Rodriguez said.
    Rhode Island School of Design seniors Jean Wei, Mariel Rodriguez, Hanna Cha and Michelle Zhuang came up with the concept of “Permanent Alien” after long discussions about Asian American identity.
    Rhode Island School of Design seniors Jean Wei, Mariel Rodriguez, Hanna Cha and Michelle Zhuang came up with the concept of “Permanent Alien” after long discussions about Asian American identity. Jean Wei

Together with fellow illustration majors Hanna Cha and Jean Wei, the group began discussing and expanding on the idea that would become “Permanent Alien,” a comic anthology available in digital format now and in print soon.

Once they came up with the name “Permanent Alien,” the group knew it would be an instant conversation starter. “It came about because it is the status of Asian Americans. It doesn’t matter what you do or where you are from,” Rodriguez said. “You’re still seen as foreign.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/new-comics-anthology-permanent-alien-highlights-asian-american-experience-n720901

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.