The Walking Dead: Glenn actor Steven Yeun says playing an Asian-American role model was the "greatest honour"

• Level 3 - Captain

The Walking Dead: Glenn actor Steven Yeun says playing an Asian-American role model was the “greatest honour”

The Walking Dead lost one of its original characters last week, with the death of Glenn Rhee.

In the last seven years, Steven Yeun’s Glenn has become a beloved staple on the show - made all the more special by the fact that he was a rare Asian-American character who:

1. was portrayed as a genuine and relatable hero;

2. was not racially stereotyped nor defined by his ethnicity.

Glenn is a huge, huge loss to those looking for Asian-American role models on TV, especially when you consider how few of them actually exist.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Yeun said it was the “greatest honour” to play a character like him.

“I didn’t have a Glenn,” Yeun said, recalling his childhood. "I didn’t have someone to watch on television. I didn’t have someone where I can say, ‘That’s my face, and my face is being accepted by everybody watching this programme’.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-walking-dead/news/a812606/walking-dead-glenn-steven-yeun-on-playing-asian-american-role-model/

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.