Readers share stories of racism toward the Asian-American community: ‘People see my race first’

• Level 3 - Captain

Readers share stories of racism toward the Asian-American community: ‘People see my race first’

Among the slights and stereotypes faced by Asian Americans, there is a pervasive theme: the assumption, by some, that they are not actually Americans. “Go back to where you came from,” many have been told at some point in their lives. And they are sometimes asked: “Do you speak English?”

That’s not just an East Coast thing, as one might conclude from two recent episodes that stirred outrage among Asian Americans. An editor at The New York Times wrote this week about a stranger yelling at him and his family to “go back to China.”

The insult — driving home the sense of “otherness” that he said Asian Americans struggle with every day — followed a Fox News stab at humor that had interviewer Jesse Waters wade into New York’s Chinatown with every cliché in the book.

We asked our readers if they have ever experienced such insults, and more than a dozen people offered their stories. They told of offensive questions, slurs hurled from cars, sexual fetishism and greetings of “ni hao” to anyone who looks Asian, no matter the ethnicity.

“Having grown up in Missouri, I assumed liberal Pac-Rim-influenced Seattle would be a ‘safe’ zone from me,” wrote a former Seattle P-I food critic whose editors received a letter asking why they hired “a fortune cookie” instead of an American.

“But my colleagues had my back,” wrote former critic Hsiao-Ching Chou. “Our publisher sent this response: ‘Dear Sir: We are in receipt of your letter. We did hire an American.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/racism-toward-the-asian-american-community-readers-share-their-stories/

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.