Asian reddit subs are dying

• Level 1 - Sergeant

Every single one of them are practically ghost towns because of the heavy censorship. Let me just comment on that. Too much censorship kills the ability for commenters to explore topics and discuss them in detail. Hapas outpaced the Asian subs because controversial topics were allowed (under the direction of hapas themselves and hapa related topics). However even Hapas is dying because there’s nothing else exciting to talk about. They don’t explore full Asian topics (there seems to be a hatred for full Asians to boot) and in doing so, they miss the finer points.

Just like Asian-Americans in the real world, so too are Asians fractured and separated on reddit. That’s also a huge problem. Everything is intertwined with each other therefore all topics are relevant to the cause.

Commenting itself is very chaotic but order rises out of the chaos. I learned this being a 4chan commenter (and also wccf commenter in it’s glory days lol). If your idea or comment isn’t worth squat, then you’ll be left in the dust as people naturally gravitate to the best comments. When you add more moderation to this process, you cannot see how things balance itself out. For example, if a white guy comes in with racist rhetoric, but is banned after one comment, then the masses can’t disprove the things he said. The things he says are terrible, but it presents a challenge. If your counter argument is the superior one, you should win with no intervention from mods. Moderation should only be used sparsely.

Like always, I’m always discovering or noticing something but nothing ever comes out of it. I think that my best work has always been outside Asian forums and subs which validate my feelings of wanting to leave forever and just handle it all on my own.

• Level 0 - Private

Totally agreed. Forums should be regulated like the market: sparingly and only when absolutely necessary (ex. blatant troll posts that beyond a reasonable doubt, are made solely to incite). Only out of competition can superior ideas become salient; similarly, monopolies (in the form of echo-chambers) are bad in general, as it leads to stagnation.

• Level 2 - Officer

There are lots of white weebs on reddit. They live off their parents support while spending most of their time on the computer fueled by pizza and soda. Those are the people who dream of subservient Asian sex slaves as well as the deaths of Asian men and Asian societies. They are incapable of empathy with Asian people because they don’t see as as people. This is a big demographic on Reddit, like it or not.

There are a alot of these weebs spending 12+ hours online, influencing the discussions on Reddit. We are a smaller population, and spend far less time on Reddit, and have to balance time with work, family, relationships, cooking, and exercise.

I suspect there are more weebs monitoring the Asian subreddits than there are actual Asian readers. We’re not going to influence the discussion on Reddit r/all. But we DO make our voice heard, by being present and having our information out there, not to try to out-argue the ones-with-no-life, but by being visible to the Asian and Asian American readers in the world, both men and women.

“Hi, we are healthy and proud people of Asian ethnicity, who love ourselves and love our community. We are strong individuals living in a diaspora environment that’s often hostile, but we’re tough and we survive and help each other thrive. We exist, and nobody can silence us. Let’s fight against White Supremacy instead of accepting it.”

• Level 0 - Private Banned

@natalie_ng

Furthermore, things like doxxing will definitely have the sub banned for good and frequent AF-bashing will not only drive off potential pro-Asian Afs but will make the entire sub look like it’s filled with “angry, misogynistic” men to outsiders, and thus, the messages members on these subs are trying to convey won’t be taken as seriously.

Completely agree with this. I’m hard-pressed to find threads that I can show to potential recruits, male or female. It’s already driven off several strongly pro-Asian/pro-AM AFs, as well as successful/woke AMs with the general lack of action and ego battles.

I’ve caught members on r/AsianFeminism to bash Ams from time to time

Generalizations are strictly prohibited (please use the report button if violated!). I would like to see links and discuss any such comments with you!

The question is whether the focus is on calling out white supremacy majority of the time. I’m not down with people who focus their energy on tearing down other Asians (even when warranted) at the expense of attacking white supremacy. Imo we only have so many resources, and the time spent attacking each other is generally time wasted for achieving real goals. However, if we claim to care about our Asian community, we have to hold those who distract from the main problem accountable, and this includes Asians of all genders.

• Level 1 - Sergeant

@asianmovement said in Asian reddit subs are dying:

I don’t think thats a bad thing , these subs are basically gender subs. Its okay to have some bashing from time to time.

Except you can’t bash AF even in a AM sub. The only place you can is hapas where it’s generally both HM/F both attacking Asians.

this is honestly the biggest thing that comes to mind when moderating. Will it be used against us?

If the topics and posts are on point then it should never be able to be used against us. I pointed this out day 1 of landing in Aznidentity and I was banned for it. Ditto for AsianMasc. I had to make a new account (suiko_no_shin) and alter my message. Now look at where we are. People still have ammo to use against the subs and it’s even labeled a hate sub.

The good thing about a private forum like this is that its not pubically visible.

Yeah but it’s just another safe space. The subs are the same thing. It’s just a safe space.

• Huangdi

I’ve caught members on r/AsianFeminism to bash Ams from time to time (plus the content is only unique to Afs rather than all Asians as a whole…same goes for r/AsianMasculinity except it’s unique to Ams instead),

I don’t think thats a bad thing , these subs are basically gender subs. Its okay to have some bashing from time to time.

r/AznIdentity
    Whereas for our sub , although it has a majority male focus , its for everyone who’s asian so bashing should be kept to a minimum.

Reddit is a white man’s world where most of its users are white and many lurkers on Asian subs are also white. Many are looking for any way to take the subs down by easily taking what was said out of context and claim it as hate speech or claim the entire sub as a hate sub.

this is honestly the biggest thing that comes to mind when moderating. Will it be used against us?

The good thing about a private forum like this is that its not pubically visible.

• Level 1 - Sergeant

@secondstrike said in Asian reddit subs are dying:

I think you guys are reading too much into this.

moderation

Like @natalie_ng said, it’s a matter of balance. The reason white trolls are banned on sight is because they rarely change their minds. You can throw facts up all day long. They make no difference.

subverted groups

I doubt it. I think it’s simply laziness.

It’s one thing to ban a troll but white people who come in angry with a set of opinions should be debated. I debate every single one of them, including trolls, and I win, every single time.

• administrators

I think you guys are reading too much into this.

moderation

Like @natalie_ng said, it’s a matter of balance. The reason white trolls are banned on sight is because they rarely change their minds. You can throw facts up all day long. They make no difference.

subverted groups

I doubt it. I think it’s simply laziness.

• Level 1 - Sergeant

@tour_operator said in Asian reddit subs are dying:

these forums look like anglo-saxon university books: lots of pages of blah blah, without concise schematic synthetic writings.
    Nothing about socio-political guidances, only societal ranting.

That’s because it’s not allowed to get to that point. I’ve commented before on the bigger scope of things.

They are false-subversive forums, meant to chanel awake newbies to sterile contestation and waiting for nothing.

That is the most coherent thing I’ve read from you so far and I agree with that. All Asian subs seem to be self-contained and people want things to get better but they’re not taking steps to make things better. I remember from my #gamergate days, I used to be everywhere and involved with many different people. We weren’t just in gamergate related spaces, but we went beyond those spaces, even reached out to the industry and members of the press that were willing to listen to us. We exposed the hypocrisy and the strange cronyism that the media was full of.

• Level 1 - Sergeant

@natalie_ng said in Asian reddit subs are dying:

There is quite a bit of moderating on Asian subs but I can see why. Reddit is a white man’s world where most of its users are white and many lurkers on Asian subs are also white. Many are looking for any way to take the subs down by easily taking what was said out of context and claim it as hate speech or claim the entire sub as a hate sub.

All the more reason to challenge them and put the ideas to the test. Banning them ASAP does very little. If they come in with the purpose to troll, then yes, ban away. But if they have something to say with it, and they’re just instantly banned, then it perpetuates the cycle of hatred. The whole idea is to enlighten people. A once bitter troll with contrarian opinion can be a devout supporter. But you have to make them understand.

frequent AF-bashing will not only drive off potential pro-Asian Afs but will make the entire sub look like it’s filled with “angry, misogynistic” men to outsiders, and thus, the messages members on these subs are trying to convey won’t be taken as seriously.

Hapas gets a lot of heat because it does what no other Asian sub wants to do. It puts self-hating AF on the examination table and they dissect every little part. It needs to be understood. Unfortunately none of the other subs allow this. Pro-Asian AF’s need to hear this too. Once people understand, then the hate against anti-Asian females will go down on it’s own. I personally no longer hate anti-Asian females because I know what it’s all about now. I know how to look for them and how to stay away.

In that case, heavy moderation on Asians bashing one another is also a very good thing since it takes away whites’ ability to say, “You’re worst racists because you hate each other” or “You’re hypocritical because you bash other minorities too.”

It’s a bad stereotype used against us for sure, but look at the South Asian stuff that I was writing on AI that got me banned. What needed to happen is that the thread should’ve been allowed to have been discussed further in detail and actions should have taken place to educate SA on the place that we all have in the world of white people. But instead, I get banned and the thread gets deleted. Now, there’s a continuing problem that will never be addressed.

• Empress of War

There is quite a bit of moderating on Asian subs but I can see why. Reddit is a white man’s world where most of its users are white and many lurkers on Asian subs are also white. Many are looking for any way to take the subs down by easily taking what was said out of context and claim it as hate speech or claim the entire sub as a hate sub. Furthermore, things like doxxing will definitely have the sub banned for good and frequent AF-bashing will not only drive off potential pro-Asian Afs but will make the entire sub look like it’s filled with “angry, misogynistic” men to outsiders, and thus, the messages members on these subs are trying to convey won’t be taken as seriously. Also, I recently read a post on a white subreddit where they were trying to criticize AI and when one of the guys said something like, “Funny how they claim to not be racist yet probably look down on South and Southeast Asians” and another corrected him and said, “No, they actually include a lot of posts geared towards South and Southeast Asians. That’s not the problem.” In that case, heavy moderation on Asians bashing one another is also a very good thing since it takes away whites’ ability to say, “You’re worst racists because you hate each other” or “You’re hypocritical because you bash other minorities too.”

It is a catch 22 though because too much moderation will often lead to members feeling like they have to be too accommodating to Afs and other minorities, which eventually chases some of them away from participating in the subs and thus, leading to the ghost town effect. In this case, moderators are forced to choose a poison–moderate too much and many members will leave or moderate too little, allow risky posts everywhere and risk having the sub banned at worst or not be taken so seriously at best.

That being said, if I had to choose between r/AsianAmerican, r/AsianFeminism, r/AsianMasculinity, r/AznIdentity, r/hapas, or r/asiantwox, I probably would pick r/AznIdentity as my favorite and r/hapas maybe a distant second…VERY distant though (I’m judging mostly by content as well as moderators’ ability to facilitate a healthy discussion of racism against Asians without forcing members to be too accommodating nor letting threads turn into endless, child-like bashing of all Afs, other Asian ethnicities and other minorities). r/AsianAmerican moderation is extreme, I’ve caught members on r/AsianFeminism to bash Ams from time to time (plus the content is only unique to Afs rather than all Asians as a whole…same goes for r/AsianMasculinity except it’s unique to Ams instead), and r/asiantwox has similarities with r/AsianAmerican.

I will definitely agree with you on this:

However even Hapas is dying because there’s nothing else exciting to talk about. They don’t explore full Asian topics (there seems to be a hatred for full Asians to boot) and in doing so, they miss the finer points.

I’m not sure if they’re dying but a few of the moderators (not all, but a few) seem to dislike having full Asians there, hence why they probably don’t want to discuss full Asian topics because that would risk drawing too many of us there. Also, from personal experience, r/hapas isn’t as pro-Asian as many seem to believe, which is understandable since they are half white and many still do embrace their half white side.

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.