Sony planning to shoot Mulan live-action movie

• Empress of War

I’m actually kind of excited for this (I hope to God there are no white people in this film)!

http://www.avclub.com/article/sonys-planning-live-action-mulan-movie-242373

I’m already visualizing what Shang and Mulan should look like (especially Shang hahaha). Keep in mind, the people I’m throwing out here right now aren’t all actors but I just thought they look good and if Shang and Mulan looked anything like them, then I’m happy :laughing:

For Shang:

My all-time fav, Song Seung-heon. A sex God like him looks good in every role, honestly.
    song_seung_heon.jpg

Brendan Lai (he’s fucking hot af, there’s just no denying that)
    bl12-564x500.jpg

Don’t know his name, but doesn’t matter. He’s hot.
    tumblr_nviz5bslnF1tjsi7co1_540.jpg

Taecyeon
    99d18730-4cd3-406f-9fe9-1744ee6f0b0b.jpg

For Mulan–you guys are gonna have to help me out here. I’ve been told I’m terrible at judging women but here goes :laughing:

Ngo Thanh Van
    30.jpg

Jing Tian
    12682.jpg

…and that’s all I have for the women for now, lol. Feel free to agree/disagree, add who you think is more suitable, etc…

• administrators

@natalie_ng True. Gotta keep those protests going. Mail Order Bride provided a good backlash.

• Empress of War

@secondstrike Tbh, I think all of American media is anti-Asian/anti-Asian male, not just Disney/Marvel/ABC. I mean, look at NBC and how they okayed Mail Order Family. I’m sure if the woman involved was black or Latina instead, they wouldn’t have approved of it so quickly.

• administrators

@natalie_ng Disney/Marvel/ABC - all part of the same family and they are absolutely notorious for their anti-Asian agenda. They are prolifically and intensely anti-Asian male.This is not some mere coincidence. See kulturemedia.org for more

SzwUZx7.jpg

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney

Based on a cursory look at their assets, they are an immense media juggernaut. They possess some of the biggest IPs in history [Disney, Marve, Pixarl], technology [Industrial Light and Magic], and distribution [ABC, ESPN].

It’s valued at 140+ billion.

Source: y39S7f6.jpg

For comparison, Intel is valued at 176 billion.

0UZ57hd.jpg

• Empress of War

@qwertyui1234567 Good to know! So it sounds like the Disney version is an attempt to brush Asian/Chinese culture as misogynistic/oppressive of women by highlighting how she snuck behind her family’s back to join the army, how her family saw being a bride as the only “honorable” future for her, and how Shang disapproved of having a woman in his army, but in the Chinese version, it’s quite the contrary. Then again, not it’s not that surprising considering how western media has had a long history of making us and our cultures look bad…

But yes, Shang is a must. I really do hope they portray him as masculine as he was back in the animated version. Slightly unrelated but I legit had female friends and classmates back in school who thought he was handsome, despite him just being a cartoon character, LOL.

• Level 0 - Private

Have you guys seen the 1964 movie Lady General Hua Mulan? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_General_Hua_Mu-lan

Here’s the plot synopsis:

Barbarian hordes had invaded and the border towns were overrun. The call went out for able-bodied men to join the army. Hua Mulan returned home from her hunting to find that her frail father had been summoned. Her brother was too young to enlist so she volunteered to take her father’s place but her parents rejected the idea. Determined to convince her father, she conspired with her cousin and elder sister. Dressed as a man, she sparred with her father and defeated him. Both astonished and impressed, he gave her his blessings to join the army.

With her cousin accompanying her, she joined the ranks of army recruits and managed to impress the General in the recruits martial trials. In the 12 years of fighting, she rose through the ranks and attained the status of general. Through this period, she became fast friends with the group of recruits she was with and General Li. The war eventually drew to a close with an ambush and capture of the barbarian king. The Commanding General of the army threw a celebratory feast, after which, he drew Mulan aside to discuss a matter with her. He was especially impressed with her abilities and character and wished to bethroth his daughter to Mulan. Unable to reveal the truth about her identity and reluctant to refuse him outright for fear of offending him, Mulan dodged the issue by pretending to be feeling weak from her wound received in the last battle.

A few days later, having officially resigned her post, she took leave of her comrades and returned home with her cousin. The Commanding General, however, had not forgotten the proposal and was determined to have Mulan as a son-in-law and served in the government. He sent General Li with some of her comrades bearing wedding gifts to her home. When they arrived, they were shocked and astonished to find that their courageous and heroic comrade turned out to be a lady.

General Li agreed to explain to the Commanding General on Mulan’s behalf. Before he left, he exchanged bethrothal tokens with Mulan, exhorting her to wait for him.

Did you notice these passages:

Hua Mulan returned home from her hunting to find that her frail father had been summoned.
    Dressed as a man, she sparred with her father and defeated him. Both astonished and impressed, he gave her his blessings to join the army
    With her cousin accompanying her, she joined the ranks of army recruits and managed to impress the General in the recruits martial trials.
    In the 12 years of fighting, she rose through the ranks and attained the status of general.

So in the 1964 film she has “manly” hobbies, she betters her father in a one on one fight, enters the army with her families blessings, impresses the general and recruits with her martial prowess, and manage to obtain the rank of general. If I didn’t know better, I’d swear that the 1998 film was an orientalist fantasy. /s

@natalie_ng We cant #MakeMulanRight without a strong masculine Shang. Did you notice the number of tweets about Shang?

• Empress of War

@secondstrike That’s better news than having a white male lead in the movie but the only thing I’m now concerned with is how the Asian male lead will be portrayed. Shang is supposed to be a strong, masculine character with leadership abilities. Knowing what I know about western media, he may not be the same Shang we all know and love in this new Mulan :(

• administrators

• Level 3 - Captain

@natalie_ng Nice.

They need to understand, we are not playing around.

Kz0r0Hj.png

Chinese media and other government organizations are watching. That’s Wang Guan from CCTV who liked the comment.

• Empress of War

@bugoutfever No worries, bugout, I’ve been working on it.

• Level 3 - Captain

• Empress of War

@walt_hartung Seriously?!? Shang is the ONLY reason why I’m excited to see this movie but they’re gonna replace him with Billy Bob instead?! Urgh, why do I even bother…

• Level 0 - Private

@natalie_ng

Anonymous industry-insider guest-poster on Apologist Asian Man Phil Yu’s site (not gonna link, you know where to find it) has read the script that Disney purchased: story is about 30-something sexpat Whitey who defeats barbarian invaders, saves China and wins the (16 yr old) girl. So you can just cross off your hunky Asian dudes and write in Matt Damon or Bradley Cooper or whatever. Shit.

• Level 1 - Sergeant

@asianmovement said in Sony planning to shoot Mulan live-action movie:

Liu tao was in Nirvana in fire!!!

Yeah she’s great as Princess Nihuang. I first saw her as An Di. She is a smart, worldly (as she portrays a Chinese-American), confident woman on Ode to Joy. To see her go from that to kicking ass the first time she shows up was shocking lol!

• Huangdi

I’m going through Nirvana in Fire right now but I saw Wang Kai and Liu Tao first in Ode to Joy. (that’s how I came to find out about Nirvana in Fire lol)

You wont be disappointed. It starts a little slow , but its basically this years top 10 dramas in Asia , even besting korean dramas. It was also shown in Korea, as well as other asian countries. Its literally 12/10.

If you like Liu Tao, she is great in this.

Liu tao was in Nirvana in fire!!!

• Level 1 - Sergeant

@asianmovement said in Sony planning to shoot Mulan live-action movie:

@suiko_no_shin I found the two of them orginally in Nirvana In Fire, then I saw them in the disguiser.
    Both were top level chinese dramas. Hows Ode to joy? Ive been wanting to watch it , but it just seems like a chick flick.

Of course , I’ll watch Liu tao any day…

I’m going through Nirvana in Fire right now but I saw Wang Kai and Liu Tao first in Ode to Joy. (that’s how I came to find out about Nirvana in Fire lol)

I like it a lot but I don’t know how to categorize it. I don’t know if I would call it a chick flick since I actually watch those and it is not like those movies at all. The show is about the lives of 5 ladies from Shanghai whose lives intertwine (as they live in the same apartment building and floor of Ode to Joy). Of course they have their own romance sub-plots but then it also deals with family, tragedy, work, etc (each character has a different sub-plot) and yes even those intersect as well. You also get a small glimpse into the culture of Shanghai (like dating, work and so on). It was nothing like I’ve seen before so I enjoyed it. The best part of the show are the characters. If you like Liu Tao, she is great in this.

• Huangdi

@suiko_no_shin I found the two of them orginally in Nirvana In Fire, then I saw them in the disguiser.
    Both were top level chinese dramas. Hows Ode to joy? Ive been wanting to watch it , but it just seems like a chick flick.

Of course , I’ll watch Liu tao any day…

• Level 1 - Sergeant

@asianmovement those guys are awesome! They need to hurry up with Ode to Joy season 2. I want to see Qiao Xin’s character end up with Wang Kai’s character.

• Huangdi

Hu Ge
    tumblr_nvhxaogtrt1qij3qwo2_1280.jpg

and

Wang Kai
    d3kralOL_412691_c.jpg

• Empress of War

@walt_hartung It said “with a Chinese partner and a mostly Chinese cast”? Hmm…the keyword I see there is “mostly” which definitely means not completely Chinese cast. I interpret that in two ways–the more optimistic way which is that it could mean they will hire non-Chinese Asians as well (which I’m actually fine with as long as they suit the role) OR it means they will hire whites…in which case, it will simply be another movie I throw onto my boycotting list.

• Level 0 - Private

@natalie_ng

I’m hopeful like you, but not gonna hold my breath. According to Variety, it will be shot “in China with a Chinese partner and a mostly Chinese cast.”

We all know what that means: Hua Mulan gets mysterious white love interest (Matt Damon?) who teaches the Chinese how to repel the barbarian invaders.

Cuz no matter what the story, when the time period, where the location, Haolewood will always find a way to insert a white hero.

• Level 1 - Sergeant

Huang Xiaoming

Jin Dong

Shang

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.