Preventing the next generations of Anna Lus

• administrators

@natalie_ng

Black women also have it very bad, but like Asian men, they still take pride in themselves and their people.

They have a much deeper understanding owing to their parents, counter frames, etc. Meanwhile, many Asian parents are raising a bunch of sheep to the slaughter by NOT arming them with awareness and counter frames.

Yeah, again, I just can’t help but wonder why you see much more women falling for the racial stereotypes than you see the men.
    Asian boys, growing up, were probably forced to watch guys like William Hung represent himself in western media, but they never turn their back on their own or try to distance themselves from other Asians.

I think it’s the lack of opportunity. Af can distance themselves from Asians because they have somewhere else to go, but Am? Who will accept them? Even many Af won’t accept them.

I have to wonder if biologically speaking, women are more prone to these types of breakdowns. In other words, when racists attack men, they fight back. When racists attack women, they seem to give up and just go with it (this doesn’t apply to black women though, for some reason).

I think it’s got more to do with females being more status driven/socially concerned than men. Females attack psychologically. They have a strong need to belong - more so than men.

When you look at the forefront of AA activism, it’s almost always, always Asian men.

I don’t know enough about this, but I think it goes back to defensive othering. They still live partially with rose colored glasses by mistaking relationships with fetishists = white acceptance. Am have less illusions about that. The narratives are also very different. Af are fed that wm = liberation from the made up “evil Am patriarchy” (cooked up by wm and their Af accomplices). Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that Asian men usually are much less likely to fall into self-hatred mode than the women.

and

Okay, I think that’s very rare and extremely, extremely odd. Most of the AMWF hapas I know (and I would say I know quite a few) seem to take a lot of pride in being Asian.

I agree. In general, amwf produces less crazies because they are more likely (not always) going against the grain of self-hate than afwm. Ya, the quote was meant to serve up an example of self hate.

Living in an Asian enclave, I don’t see AM to have more nerds than WMs, but since many Asian guys online who live in non-Asian areas have told me that AMs where they live are mostly “nerdy”, I’ll take their word for it. I do think that has largely to do with tiger parenting though.

I think Asian enclave is one factor but the second is the types of Asians living there. I live in an enclave and I see nerds everywhere, just a sea of dweebs at highschools and malls. I also find that it’s disctincly the E Asians who are the biggest dweebs of all. Philippinos were not as socially awkward and nerdy like the E Asians. I find that the less FOB they are the less nerdier (on average). Tiger parenting and also the academic pressure cooker especially in E Asia monopolizes their time/energy.

My dad also wasn’t the type of man who told us to stay still and be pushovers. He used to say, “If they hit you, you hit back…harder.”

THIS. So much this. Your experience is relatively rare, but exceptionally important to raising well-adjusted Asians.

I don’t understand why they don’t do since Eastern European/Latina women look MUCH more similar to your standard western white woman and culturally, they are also much more similar.

I think they do already, don’t they? Mail order brides. I don’t know for sure but I suspect the other reason is that wm can’t waltz into most spaces and be treated super well like many moronic Asian nations.

I’m hoping that at least the white-worshipping will end with ours

Yup. It’s all we can do now.

• @bugoutfever said in Preventing the next generations of Anna Lus:

I had a very similar upbringing, but in Canada. Needless to say much of the Asian American experience was very strange and abnormal to me. Course, it might have to do with an Asian enclave environment, but I think there are still key differences regarding the two countries.

I’m Asian American and even I find it strange/abnormal, lol. Like you though, I also lived in an Asian enclave so that’s probably why I don’t understand what goes on in the heads of Anna Lus.

I think the reason there are such explanations, is because it takes something abnormal to explain abnormal behaviour. In all of schooling, I only knew of one girl who mostly hung out with non Asians exclusively. I don’t know anything about her though, because the Asian groups in my school never talked to her or hung out with her. I can’t help but wonder that she is the type to slander Asians online, she is the type that others attack online

I wouldn’t be surprised if she did. But yes, I agree that it takes something abnormal to explain abnormal behavior so maybe that’s why many of us can never fully comprehend white-worshipping individuals (to me, it’s similar to something like pedophilia or beastiality–it’s so strange and gross that I can never see the point of it). We may have theories and ideas, but in the end, we’re mostly doing our best to guess what causes this type of behavior so that we can tackle it for our future children’s sake.

It’s not just about culture, it is about pride and loyalty. Knowing how to use chopsticks doesn’t mean anything if you have no pride or loyalty.

100% agree. Pride/loyalty are characteristics that far too many Asian-Americans (and even a few Asians in Asia) seem to lack.

• @secondstrike said in Preventing the next generations of Anna Lus:

If you are unaware, you’ll simply assume you’re inferior. That’s how you learn to accept your “inferiority” and white “superiority”. You normalize this and you become a slave.

So seems like racists generally rely on the victims’ ignorance about their own group to keep them believing in white superiority.

individual inculcation of the racist stereotypes, values, images, and ideologies perpetuated by the White dominant society about one’s racial group, leading to feelings of self doubt, disgust, and disrespect for one’s race and or oneself.

This makes a lot of sense but I do have to wonder why is it that it’s mostly women who fall into “feelings of self doubt, disgust, and disrespect” for themselves? It seems that Asian men have it much worse, especially when they live in all-white areas but you rarely see Asian men putting down their own as often as the women do. Black women also have it very bad, but like Asian men, they still take pride in themselves and their people.

Everyone, especially non-whites are mind-controlled by pervasive Western media that normalizes racist stereotypes that instill self hate for yourself, your body, your race, and even your own men. Simultaneously, it instills white worship to at great personal and racial expense.

Yeah, again, I just can’t help but wonder why you see much more women falling for the racial stereotypes than you see the men. Asian boys, growing up, were probably forced to watch guys like William Hung represent himself in western media, but they never turn their back on their own or try to distance themselves from other Asians.

most of my respondents struggled through their childhood and teenage years with an strong sense of racial ethnic cultural difference, including being “embarrassed” or “self conscious” about their culture, which produced powerful desires to “whiten.”

That is extremely, extremely sad.

such desires for “white identification” to avoid racism seemed to have been typically accompanied by attraction to Caucasian boys from a young age.

Okay, I suppose I can sort of see how that works. By distancing themselves from all Asians in general (probably from both men and women), they probably want to be seen as “different” from other Asian-Americans so that they can be more “accepted” by the white kids. I actually used to know an Asian female classmate who avoided hanging out with all Asians (boys and girls) and I often wondered why. The only difference was that she mainly hung out with blacks. In any case, now I know why.

This is called “defensive othering”, where the oppressed distance themselves from the blacklisted group eg Am but especially stereotypical nerdy Am. Imagine a guy at a party. Would he want to be seen with a 400kg woman? No, because it makes him look very bad. The association is social suicide. Many (not all) Am, through a combo of a decades-long smear campaign + looking/behaving like girly men = the male equivalent of a 400kg woman. No one wants to be seen with them because it’s embarassing and hurts their social status.

Yeah, okay, that makes sense.

White males smeared Am with lies and stereotypes and then Af react by distancing themselves so they don’t look bad. The root of this problem is racist white mlaes.

Example 1

an Asian American woman told me, “I would especially treat the Asian American boys badly when I was in school because I wanted nothing to do with them, I didn’t want to be associated with them. I was ashamed of [Asianness].”

She wanted to avoid things that made her look bad, and to her it was Asian American boys. I think that that happens a lot. And it’s not a coincidence that that is precisely what historically and in the present a lot of the white men prefer.

So white men like it when AA women put down/avoid AA men. That would explain why the likes of esther ku has so much yellow fever pigs cheering her on.

I was curious about the demographics of her followers so I did go through those who liked her most racist tweets as well as her follower list. It was mostly white people from trailer trash states, no surprise there. But the people who liked her racist tweets were the most telling; they were all mostly hideous looking white guys that I don’t think any sane woman would touch with a 10-ft pole.

His father was a successful doctor who had emigrated from China, and his mother was white. Whenever a peer would ask him about his racial makeup, he would fervently say, “I’m white.” If questioned again, because physically he looked multiracial, he would get very angry and shout that he was “not Chinese” but rather white.

I met another Asian American man who had Chinese parents and called himself “The Caucasian Asian.” Every time I saw him hanging outside of the dorm, he was engaged in these male performances of hypermasculinity. He was loud, walking with an exaggerated swagger, and constantly yelling out that he was the “Caucasian Asian.”

in both cases, I saw these two men overtly and publicly reject their Asianness.

Okay, I think that’s very rare and extremely, extremely odd. Most of the AMWF hapas I know (and I would say I know quite a few) seem to take a lot of pride in being Asian. I used to know one AMWF male hapa who was the complete opposite of that hapa that’s mentioned in the article. His father was also Chinese, his mother was white. But he always insisted that he was full Chinese and ignored all questions about his mother. It took a lot of effort from us (his friends) to get him to admit his mom was white, lol. He can speak Chinese fairly well and while he was very popular with people of all races (he was athletic and had a sense of humor), his inner circle consisted of all Asian guys.

I used to have a middle school teacher who was also an AMWF hapa and she frequently talked about injustices towards Asian Americans, had us write reports denouncing racism towards AAs, and organized a field trip to Angel Island where the first Asian immigrants were treated badly.

Another one of my AMWF female classmates later only dated Asian guys and ended up marrying one.

Even the AMWF hapas at r/hapas seemed to be more comfortable with their identities than the WMAF hapas that all seem a little (or a lot) messed up.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that Asian men usually are much less likely to fall into self-hatred mode than the women. Yes, there probably are a few Asian men out there who are the male equivalents of Anna Lus, but they’re much rarer, so when they get with a woman (Asian or non-Asian), their kids typically don’t have as many identity crisis as WMAF or any XMAF kids.

Asian Americans, especially girls and women, are disturbingly overrepresented with rates of depression and suicide. As recently as spring of 2011, The National Alliance on Mental lllness released a report that Asian American girls have the highest rates of depressive symptoms of any racial/ethnic or gender group.

Yes, I have to wonder about that. As I’ve said before, Asian men, despite being targeted much more by racists, don’t have as much of a mental/emotional breakdown as the women and shun their own group. I have to wonder if biologically speaking, women are more prone to these types of breakdowns. In other words, when racists attack men, they fight back. When racists attack women, they seem to give up and just go with it (this doesn’t apply to black women though, for some reason).

When you look at the forefront of AA activism, it’s almost always, always Asian men. And I don’t just mean from bigger sources like books, administrators of AA activism websites, videos, etc…I also mean from smaller platforms like Facebook or Twitter. I always see my AA guy friends posting things relating to the AA community (especially in regards to racism) on facebook but NOTHING related to AAs from my AA girl friends. If the girls do talk about racism, it’s always about blacklivesmatter or support for Latino immigration, but NEVER about their own group. When it comes to racism in regards to our community, it’s dead silence on their part (while the guys are much louder). I just have to wonder why???

This is why some Af loudly and publicly claim they don’t date Am. It makes no sense to say this unless they’re trying to prove something eg distance themselves from them.

1. lots of Am fit stereotypes

This one is obvious with the huge number of Am nerds

Living in an Asian enclave, I don’t see AM to have more nerds than WMs, but since many Asian guys online who live in non-Asian areas have told me that AMs where they live are mostly “nerdy”, I’ll take their word for it. I do think that has largely to do with tiger parenting though.

1. Ineffective parenting feeding sheep to wolves

Asian parents on average completely fail their children by NOT arming them with the knowledge and tools required to fight against white racism. Instead, many of these parents delude them with nonsense such as “white people are good and honorable”, “The West is a post-racial utopia”, “white men treat women better”, etc. Not only do many parents not expose the truth but they uphold self-harming lies. On top of this, they also teach their kid to tolerate…anything and everything. “Don’t make trouble”, “ be a good little boy”, etc. Now, here’s the result. Many people think their daughter is a yellow cab and their son a punching bag.

I can definitely see how this will affect the kids’ mentality towards their own group. I think I was lucky in that my parents were into open/honest communication with me and my brother, sat us down and told us about the discrimination they had to endure when they first came to the U.S. My dad was very real with us and sometimes talked about what negative treatments we might have to endure from whites (whether from friends, coworkers, employers, even dating) in our lifetime. My dad also wasn’t the type of man who told us to stay still and be pushovers. He used to say, “If they hit you, you hit back…harder.”

So yes, I can see how different ways of parenting can yield different mentalities in the children. Perhaps the way my father raised me is one of the main reasons why I can never quite understand or relate to the Anna Lus.

My father is the most influential figure in my life. I would need to write a novel if I had to explain why and how but in short, he took the most care of me and he’s done admirable things in the past to won my (and a lot of people’s) respect.

Yup. The common thread is that you saw non-stereotypical Am in your life whether it was family, media, friends, etc.

Yes, having good-looking and charismatic Asian male relatives and friends around me a lot (and watching a lot of Asian media) made me shocked to learn by others online that a lot of Asian men in all-white areas are “nerdy”. Even 'til now, I still have a hard time believing people’s claims of so many Asian men acting as stereotypes in white trailer trash states.

I remembered that 40% of AA women are with white men. With a number that high, at least SOME of those women have good-looking male relatives.

Sure, but the avg person of all races are meh. The 60% with Am probably grew up surrounded by more top tier Am.

That’s true, I didn’t think about that.

“Asian girls who prefer Asian guys can still speak their family’s language. White-washed girls who chase white guys can only speak English.”

Hard to say, but we can surmise that those who speak their language are less likely to hate on their culture or at least, hate it less. Those who only speak English made no effort to keep their Asian identity. Some even actively fought against it.

Yes, I have heard from some AA girls on youtube who said their parents insisted that they speak their ancestral language but they always made sure to respond in English. Imo, that sounds like fighting against their identity.

To prevent more Anna Lus in the future, I do believe upbringing is extremely important.

That’s definitely a big part of it. The other part is making sure they know lots of wm are NOT egalitarian, but are preying on their naivety and self hate. Many wm that specifically go for Af are some of the worst specimens - the left overs who couldn’t get wf and probably would have died alone if not for this afwm cheat code.

Yep, I do believe our future daughters need to be made aware of this. Their naivety can definitely lead to white women rejects to take advantage of them.

Globally circulating imaginaries that cast Asian, Latin American, Caribbean and East European women as more subservient than their allegedly liberated white counterparts in the USA and Western Europe drives Western men’s demand for non-Western women.

Ah, if only they would just stick to East European/Latin American women…something I don’t understand why they don’t do since Eastern European/Latina women look MUCH more similar to your standard western white woman and culturally, they are also much more similar.

racialized images can cause Asian American women to believe they will find greater gender equality with white men and can cause white men to believe they will find greater subservience with Asian women. This dynamic promotes Asian American women’s availability to white men and makes them particularly vulnerable to mistreatment.

Again, this is where parents need to speak up. Asian parents have to stop seeing whites in rose-colored glasses in order to protect their children. But in order to do that, Asian parents must stop being so white-worshipping themselves. While I think it’s far too late to help out the older generation, I’m hoping that at least the white-worshipping will end with ours, so that our kids don’t grow up to hate themselves or seek white men/women to validate themselves.

• administrators

@natalie_ng

Warning: This is very long.

I did a lot of research on this. I’ll try to summarize the key points with some academic quotes from Af and Wf. I leave out Am sources (except Frank Chin) to avoid accusations (not from you) of bias.

The following applies to Af with lukemia.

1. brainwashing with self hate and white worship
    2. lots of Am fit stereotypes
    3. Cutting themselves off from anything Asian - especially media.
    4. Ineffective parenting feeding sheep to wolves

In more detail…

1. brainwashing with self hate and white worship AKA internalized oppression / racism

Vectors of self hate include mocking your accent, lies about your supposedly inferior bodies, the supposedly small penis and misogyny and shorter height of your men, nerdy intelligence, lack of creativity, etc Most of these stereotypes are lies AND those that are not are based on biased sampling.

If you are unaware, you’ll simply assume you’re inferior. That’s how you learn to accept your “inferiority” and white “superiority”. You normalize this and you become a slave.

● The dominant group controls the construction of reality through the production of ideologies or “knowledge” (Foucault 1977 [1975]) that circulate throughout society where they inform social norms, organizational practices, bureaucratic procedures, and commonsense knowledge. In this way the interests of the oppressors are presented as reflecting everyone’s best interests, thereby getting oppressed groups to accept the dominant group’s interests as their own

the subjugated inculcate, seemingly by cultural osmosis, negative stereotypes and ideologies disseminated as taken for granted knowledge.

individual inculcation of the racist stereotypes, values, images, and ideologies perpetuated by the White dominant society about one’s racial group, leading to feelings of self doubt, disgust, and disrespect for one’s race and or oneself.

● All systems of oppression not thoroughly coerced through brute force and overt repression involve the dominant group’s ability to win consent of the oppressed. ● When the oppressed come to accept these identities as “real,” they are in effect internalizing their subjugated status

● One need not experience discrete, identifiable instances of overt discrimination to internalize racial oppression.

● White racism can infiltrate the world view of the racially oppressed without their conscious consent (Osajima 1993) in a subtle process some refer to as “indoctrination” and “mental colonialization” (hooks 2003). What is Internalized Racial Oppression and Why Don’t We Study it -

Acknowledging Racism’s Hidden Injuries
    http://irows.ucr.edu/cd/courses/232/pyke/intracopp.pdf

Everyone, especially non-whites are mind-controlled by pervasive Western media that normalizes racist stereotypes that instill self hate for yourself, your body, your race, and even your own men. Simultaneously, it instills white worship to at great personal and racial expense. It’s near impossible to understand this because it works on the subconscious level while claims of post-racial society curb any doubts you may have. Over time, the false white racist beliefs are normalized and seem to be “just the way it is”.

Much of the information Asian Americans garner about their identities is from the media.

Asian American Sexual Politics: The Construction of Race, Gender, and Sexuality: Rosalind S. Chou
    http://www.amazon.com/Asian-American-Sexual-Politics-Construction/dp/1442209240

Enclaves are better than isolated areas because stereotypes get contradicted more often.

most of my respondents struggled through their childhood and teenage years with an strong sense of racial ethnic cultural difference, including being “embarrassed” or “self conscious” about their culture, which produced powerful desires to “whiten.”

development of powerful assimilative yearning, which seemed to be a common denominator among men and women of this study who eventually chose to marry interracially. Indeed, although every one of my respondents reported being a target of racist slurs and bullying when growing up—some endured these as a family unit—those who weathered these challenges most effectively were those who practiced as much distancing from the Asian “stereotypes” as possible. Relating that none of the second generation Chinese kids she knew of “wanted to be Chinese,”

such desires for “white identification” to avoid racism seemed to have been typically accompanied by attraction to Caucasian boys from a young age.

Children and the Shifting Engagement with Racial Ethnic Identity among Second Generation Interracially Married Asian Americans
    https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/bitstream/handle/1808/14641/Chong_2013.pdf

This is called “defensive othering”, where the oppressed distance themselves from the blacklisted group eg Am but especially stereotypical nerdy Am. Imagine a guy at a party. Would he want to be seen with a 400kg woman? No, because it makes him look very bad. The association is social suicide. Many (not all) Am, through a combo of a decades-long smear campaign + looking/behaving like girly men = the male equivalent of a 400kg woman. No one wants to be seen with them because it’s embarassing and hurts their social status.

White males smeared Am with lies and stereotypes and then Af react by distancing themselves so they don’t look bad. The root of this problem is racist white mlaes.

Example 1

an Asian American woman told me, “I would especially treat the Asian American boys badly when I was in school because I wanted nothing to do with them, I didn’t want to be associated with them. I was ashamed of [Asianness].”

She wanted to avoid things that made her look bad, and to her it was Asian American boys. I think that that happens a lot. And it’s not a coincidence that that is precisely what historically and in the present a lot of what white men prefer.

Asian American Sexual Politics: The Construction of Race, Gender, and Sexuality: Rosalind S. Chou

Example 2

His father was a successful doctor who had emigrated from China, and his mother was white. Whenever a peer would ask him about his racial makeup, he would fervently say, “I’m white.” If questioned again, because physically he looked multiracial, he would get very angry and shout that he was “not Chinese” but rather white.

I met another Asian American man who had Chinese parents and called himself “The Caucasian Asian.” Every time I saw him hanging outside of the dorm, he was engaged in these male performances of hypermasculinity. He was loud, walking with an exaggerated swagger, and constantly yelling out that he was the “Caucasian Asian.”

in both cases, I saw these two men overtly and publicly reject their Asianness.

These mind control techniques inflict negative physical effects.

It made an impact over time, when all you hear is the negative instead of the positive. I always felt like the outsider and I was teased for just being Asian. They’d pull their eyes down, and they always thought I was Chinese.

All sixty respondents had memories of being teased and feeling like a racial "other”.

Asian Americans, especially girls and women, are disturbingly overrepresented with rates of depression and suicide. As recently as spring of 2011, The National Alliance on Mental lllness released a report that Asian American girls have the highest rates of depressive symptoms of any racial/ethnic or gender group.

This is why some Af loudly and publicly claim they don’t date Am. It makes no sense to say this unless they’re trying to prove something eg distance themselves from them.

1. lots of Am fit stereotypes

This one is obvious with the huge number of Am nerds

1. Cutting themselves off from anything Asian - especially media.

Point 1 leads to this point

In terms of the utter lack of cultural distinction in America, the destruction of an organic sense of identity, the complete psychological and cultural subjugation of a race of people, the people of Chinese and Japanese [East Asian mainly] ancestry stand out as white racism’s only success.

FRANK CHIN BLOG: Racist Love:
    http://chintalks.blogspot.ca/2008/08/racist-love.html

1. Ineffective parenting feeding sheep to wolves

Asian parents on average completely fail their children by NOT arming them with the knowledge and tools required to fight against white racism. Instead, many of these parents delude them with nonsense such as “white people are good and honorable”, “The West is a post-racial utopia”, “white men treat women better”, etc. Not only do many parents not expose the truth but they uphold self-harming lies. On top of this, they also teach their kid to tolerate…anything and everything. “Don’t make trouble”, “ be a good little boy”, etc. Now, here’s the result. Many people think their daughter is a yellow cab and their son a punching bag.

Many of my respondents were not given lessons on how to deal with racist incidents; very few parents discussed this subject.

Many of my respondents lacked guidance from family, friends, or their community on how to cope with discrimination.

Regarding your experience:

I grew up watching hundreds and hundreds of Asian movies/shows…So that might have something to do with it.

Absolutely it does. This is huge. Media portrayals matter a lot.

My father is the most influential figure in my life. I would need to write a novel if I had to explain why and how but in short, he took the most care of me and he’s done admirable things in the past to won my (and a lot of people’s) respect.

Yup. The common thread is that you saw non-stereotypical Am in your life whether it was family, media, friends, etc.

I would imagine most Asian fathers to care a lot for their daughters, yet many still seem to be fine with throwing Asian men, including their fathers, under the bus.

Think how many Am look and act like stereotypes tho…

many of my uncles/cousins are attractive and have hoards of women (even non-Asian women) interested in them…

This is like an anomaly. I think being surrounded by good genes really helped.

I remembered that 40% of AA women are with white men. With a number that high, at least SOME of those women have good-looking male relatives.

Sure, but the avg person of all races are meh. The 60% with Am probably grew up surrounded by more top tier Am.

“Asian girls who prefer Asian guys can still speak their family’s language. White-washed girls who chase white guys can only speak English.”

Hard to say, but we can surmise that those who speak their language are less likely to hate on their culture or at least, hate it less. Those who only speak English made no effort to keep their Asian identity. Some even actively fought against it.

To prevent more Anna Lus in the future, I do believe upbringing is extremely important.

That’s definitely a big part of it. The other part is making sure they know lots of wm are NOT egalitarian, but are preying on their naivety and self hate. Many wm that specifically go for Af are some of the worst specimens - the left overs who couldn’t get wf and probably would have died alone if not for this afwm cheat code.

Globally circulating imaginaries that cast Asian, Latin American, Caribbean and East European women as more subservient than their allegedly liberated white counterparts in the USA and Western Europe drives Western men’s demand for non-Western women.

Fed up with the independence, career-orientation, materialism, assertiveness and egalitarian expectations associated with white Western women, Western men pursue traditional, subservient wives from abroad, or immigrant populations in their own country

An Intersectional Approach to Resistance and Complicity - The Case of Racialised Desire among Asian American Women
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07256860903477704

racialized images can cause Asian American women to believe they will find greater gender equality with white men and can cause white men to believe they will find greater subservience with Asian women. This dynamic promotes Asian American women’s availability to white men and makes them particularly vulnerable to mistreatment.

Asian American Women And Racialized Femininities ‘Doing’ Gender across Cultural Worlds
    http://www.irows.ucr.edu/cd/courses/232/pyke/femininities.pdf

• Level 3 - Captain

I had a very similar upbringing, but in Canada. Needless to say much of the Asian American experience was very strange and abnormal to me. Course, it might have to do with an Asian enclave environment, but I think there are still key differences regarding the two countries. Another topic for another time perhaps.

it’s mind-boggling as to why someone would feel more connected to other races (especially a specific race) over their own–someone who was raised in the same environment, same culture, same upbringing. You would think familiarity is comforting. But not to white chasers, apparently.

I think there are many different reasons for this. Some of the most popular ones seem to be

1. Not actually being in any sort of Asian environment at all, but rather being the token Asian among mostly whites.

2. Adoption. Self Explanatory.

3. Broken homes/some sort of major family dysfunction

There are more explanations of course, but the entertainment/media thing is a whole other large topic.

I think the reason there are such explanations, is because it takes something abnormal to explain abnormal behaviour. In all of schooling, I only knew of one girl who mostly hung out with non Asians exclusively. I don’t know anything about her though, because the Asian groups in my school never talked to her or hung out with her. I can’t help but wonder that she is the type to slander Asians online, she is the type that others attack online, and yet she wasn’t even considered Asian by the actual Asians in my school. Yet somehow, online, she is getting labeled as Asian. Her behaviour is the one representing. It is very strange.

Well, that is until others finally speak the truth.

http://imgur.com/a/hZVPr

See now that may be seen as negative, or an attack, I don’t see it that way. That is how Asians were growing up. That I can understand, not that abnormal lone wolf thing.

Upbringing is definitely the key. Unfortunately not a lot of Asian parents tackle the issue of race relations. It’s not just about culture, it is about pride and loyalty. Knowing how to use chopsticks doesn’t mean anything if you have no pride or loyalty.

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.