Asians in Asia cannot be relied on for media representation

• administrators

@suiko_no_shin

China is going to find it very hard to sell to the American public without Americans

What about Enter the Dragon, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Kung Fu Hustle, Hero, Life of Pi?

Here’s the breakdown for Crouching Tiger

169Xqm3.jpg

The logical conclusion is that they have to use Chinese people in addition to white people and that can’t be avoided.

This sounds more like a leap. See above.

Like I said, the calculations are different. The Chinese government cares about soft power as a strategic tool. If they deem the tool important enough, profit will get relegated to a secondary motive. Further, China’s Dalian Wanda Group brought AMC theater chain. It’s the second largest theater chain in America, which will give Chinese media more powerful reach.

• Level 1 - Sergeant

@secondstrike said in Asians in Asia cannot be relied on for media representation:

@suiko_no_shin Good points, but China is not Japan. As far as I know, they are not militarily occupied vassal states and their market is enormous to the point that they don’t need to cater to anyone. As long as the government is well-informed of what they are doing wrong and how to fix it, I have hope they will succeed and also influence other Asian nations to use similar strategies.

China is going to find it very hard to sell to the American public without Americans (or people who look like them) being in it. Japan succeeded with anime and games b/c it’s animated and virtual. The logical conclusion is that they have to use Chinese people in addition to white people and that can’t be avoided. There’s nothing that we can do on our end (except throw our 2 cents in). They’ll run into the racism themselves and they’ll have to deal with it.

As for Japan, they’re done.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hapas/comments/504tck/wmaf_bmws_perception_toward_asian_korean_families/

When you have a commercial with an old white man in a driverless car, passing by a hipster in a Japanese robe with a Japanese wife and kids, Japanese STILL don’t realize they are being subverted. They are done.

• administrators

@suiko_no_shin Good points, but China is not Japan. As far as I know, they are not militarily occupied vassal states and their market is enormous to the point that they don’t need to cater to anyone. As long as the government is well-informed of what they are doing wrong and how to fix it, I have hope they will succeed and also influence other Asian nations to use similar strategies.

• Level 1 - Sergeant

@secondstrike said in Asians in Asia cannot be relied on for media representation:

@suiko_no_shin said in Asians in Asia cannot be relied on for media representation:

Asians in Asia owe US a debt of gratitude. Not the other way around.

I was mostly with you until you this. lol

Ya, we know the devil better than Asians, but instead of writing them off as useless. We should simply educate them on how the game works. They have WAY more power to change things than we do. For example, China can use its market size to dictate the terms.

You know another Asian country that had the power to change things than we do? Japan. They have a vice grip over the anime and video game markets but then LOST the video game market and in that entire time, managed to produce a generation of weeaboos and social justice warriors. Japanese AV produced (or converted) people into sexpats. In that large period of time, which harkens back to a time I was young, they failed to educate these people on Japanese culture, show real (or even virtual) Japanese people.

The only game I can remember that showed Japanese was Final Fantasy X and that was IT. Tidus is widely considered to be the worst FF protagonist and you know another similar protagonist that people loved (even though they hated the game)? SQUALL, the white European designed character. I even made a thread highlighting the similarities of the characters and the hypocrisy of fans. The main difference between the two? Tidus is Asian and Squall is European. The same exact qualities they hated in Tidus, they spun into good things for Squall.

Now we have this. We have bonafide actual white people in FF now. This is the same character designer who made Tidus and Yuna.
    kgffxv

As of this moment, there is no good example of dominant Asian influence in the west leading to positive outlook on Asian Americans. Japan was the only one that managed to get any sort of market dominance and they failed. They completely sold out b/c all their works are fantasy. It’s easier to sell to people but at the same time, does absolutely nothing for anybody other than Japanese pockets. We’re still holding out hope for China b/c their talent consists of actual people but if Skiptrace is anything to go by, Hollywood will just use them up and spit them out. The Great Wall, directed by China’s top director, still managed to fit a white guy in the movie.

The evidence is all there right in front of our faces. Asia will do nothing for us.

• administrators

@suiko_no_shin said in Asians in Asia cannot be relied on for media representation:

Asians in Asia owe US a debt of gratitude. Not the other way around.

I was mostly with you until you this. lol

Ya, we know the devil better than Asians, but instead of writing them off as useless. We should simply educate them on how the game works. They have WAY more power to change things than we do. For example, China can use its market size to dictate the terms.

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.